Kosovo Foreign Minister Donika Gervalla-Schwarz warned in an interview with German media on Monday, that there was a possibility of a new war breaking out in the Balkans. Pročitaj više
“If the international community continues to tolerate Serbia's actions, there will be a new war,” Gervalla-Schwarz said in an interview with the public broadcaster Deutschlandfunk, calling on the international community to take steps against Serbia.
“(Serbian President Aleksandar) Vucic will be stopped only if the EU imposes sanctions against Serbia. It should also threaten to freeze talks on the country's EU membership if Belgrade does not hand over those responsible for the events of eight days ago and stop attacking Kosovo and all the other countries in the region,” she said.
Gervalla-Schwarz went on to say that Serbia wants “to create new facts” in order to force Kosovo to agree to territorial concessions at talks in Brussels.
“Fortunately the attempt of eight days ago did not succeed, but who knows what the future brings… Belgrade's goal is to occupy a part of Kosovo's territory. This is not the first time Vucic has deployed troops on the border with Kosovo,” Gervalla-Schwarz said.
German media report that the Kosovo government on Monday made public video recordings proving that the terrorist group that entered Kosovo and killed a police officer on 24 September enjoyed the logistical support of Serbian state institutions.
Last week, Kosovo Serb leader Milan Radoicic claimed responsibility for organising paramilitary groups in northern Kosovo. Radoicic said he assumed full responsibility for the clash in which a Kosovo police officer and three armed gunmen were killed and denied any involvement of Serbia's authorities.
He said that no assistance had been provided by Serbia's authorities or local political structures in northern Kosovo.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic, too, denied allegations that the attack had been orchestrated by Belgrade.