Although Bosnia’s ‘Quo Vadis, Aida?’ did not win the Academy Award this year, the war drama about the 1995 Srebrenica Genocide achieved tremendous success as it won numerous other awards since it premiered at the 77th Venice Film Festival.
Despite the fact that the Danish film ‘Another Round’, by Thomas Vinterberg, beat Zbanic’s film in the Oscar race, Quo Vadis, Aida? already had a massive impact on the international film scene.
The plot revolves around Aida, a translator working for the UN in the protected safe zone of Srebrenica on the eve of the July 1995 genocide.
So far, Quo Vadis, Aida? won the following awards;
- Sofia International Film Festival – Best Film in the Balkan Competition
- Rotterdam International Film Festival – Audience Award
- Luxembourg City Film Festival – Grand Prix by Orange
- Les Arcs European Film Festival – Crystal Arrow and Audience Award
- Jerusalem Film Festival – Special Mention
- Goteborg Film Festival – Dragon Award Best International Film
- Film Independent Spirit Awards – Best International Film
- El Gouna Film Festival – El Gouna Golden Star for Narrative Film, Jasna Djuricic won the El Gouna Star for Best Actress
- Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival – Best Film in the International Competition
Quo Vadis, Aida? And Zbanic were also nominated for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) for best foreign film and best director.