Residents in several Montenegrin cities began gatherings to protest the decision of Prime Minister Zdravko Krivokapic to initiate proceedings to dismiss Minister of Justice, Human and Minority Rights Vladimir Leposavic for denying the Srebrenica genocide, CdM portal reported Monday.
A group of young men posted a scandalous banner that reads “A Serb is being removed from office because of Srebrenica, remember there was no genocide,” the CDM portal reported.
Protestors in the Montenegrin capital Podgorice came to Stanko Dragojevic Boulevard, blocked traffic and chanted “We will not give up the Government,” singing songs dedicated to Kosovo, carrying Serbian flags.
The people of Berane expressed their protest by blocking the main road to Bijelo Polje, in the village of Persina stanica. They told Krivokapic that he had betrayed their trust.
“The prime minister must not engage in such methods and defend foreign interests. He must respect the will of the people who brought him to that office. If he has already deceived us, we appeal to the deputies to prevent this, they must not dismiss Leposavic,” said those gathered.
They added, “if Leposavic falls, so will the Government.”
The rallies were organized in Niksic, Podgorica, Berane, Bijelo Polje and Bar, CdM reported.
In an extraordinary address to the public, Krivokapic said he would initiate the procedure to dismiss Minister Leposavic due to his controversial statement regarding Srebrenica. Leposavic previously refused to resign, after Krivokapic asked him to do. The Montenegrin Prime Minister will send a proposal to the Assembly for his dismissal on Monday.